About Oregon Expat
Sometimes the best view is from the outside, and an American expatriate living in Portugal is, in many ways, outside of both nations. The views can be spectacular. I'm also a science nerd, Mac dweeb, and grammar geek, so the posts in this blog tend to be eclectic.
Click the "About" tab if that wasn't quite enough detail.
- We wants it!
- Celebrating the return of rights!
- Share your gifts
- The kilogram redefined
- Down the research rabbit hole
- We’re #1! (Resilience unfolds)
- Halloween = RESILIENCE
- Speaking as a finely tuned predator
- A little geeky problem-solving
- Chronicles of Alsea: Book SEVEN
- Sonic booms
- Brexit view from the continent
- “Portugal is not the USA”
- The giant salmon was my favorite
- The right-wing megacorp controlling your local news
Monthly Archives: April 2017
A friend sent this on with a sniffle warning, and she was right. But it’s a good kind of sniffling, accompanied by laughter. If you don’t mind the potty mouths of a bunch of Brooklyn natives, with an occasional Spanish … Continue reading
Last night, I was brushing my teeth when our flat was rocked with a deep BOOM. “Fletcher!” my wife called. “Come here! Fireworks!” I dashed down the hall and out to our smaller veranda, where Maria was already watching the … Continue reading
I miss my Oregon birds, some quite desperately (such as Anna’s and rufous hummingbirds, and Swainson’s thrushes), but there are compensations in the fabulous birds of Iberia. One of my favorites is the European bee-eater, which winters in Africa but … Continue reading