About Oregon Expat
Sometimes the best view is from the outside, and an American expatriate living in Portugal is, in many ways, outside of both nations. The views can be spectacular. I'm also a science nerd, Mac dweeb, and grammar geek, so the posts in this blog tend to be eclectic.
Click the "About" tab if that wasn't quite enough detail.
- We wants it!
- Celebrating the return of rights!
- Share your gifts
- The kilogram redefined
- Down the research rabbit hole
- We’re #1! (Resilience unfolds)
- Halloween = RESILIENCE
- Speaking as a finely tuned predator
- A little geeky problem-solving
- Chronicles of Alsea: Book SEVEN
- Sonic booms
- Brexit view from the continent
- “Portugal is not the USA”
- The giant salmon was my favorite
- The right-wing megacorp controlling your local news
Monthly Archives: August 2015
In 2011, a team of researchers from two different universities demonstrated that they could wirelessly disable a car’s door locks and brakes. Car manufacturers ignored them. In 2013, a team of hackers demonstrated that they could hack almost every activity … Continue reading
I received a letter from a young adult who is considering leaving her home town, where her parents serve as a safety net, and going someplace completely different — perhaps out of the country. She asked me a few questions … Continue reading
As I mentioned yesterday, I’ve been fantasizing about snow-covered mountains…but this works, too. Photographer Dominic Kemp writes: Skógafoss is a waterfall situated on the Skógá River in the south of Iceland at the cliffs of the former coastline and is … Continue reading